Sunday, November 23, 2008

MC Jin

If you bought MC Jin's latest Hong Kong release ABC, then you might have seen the dvd it came with it. Terence and I produced the three videos for the album and I directed this one.

This song is about Jin and his family but it's also the story of an immigrant family but it's also about just trying to get by in life. Which unless you were born rich, most people must struggle with. I thought the lyrics were great because they were intensely personal yet very universal at the same time. Since Jin was releasing his first album in Hong Kong, I wanted to take him out of the American Chinatown environment that he grew up in and place him right into the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong, like he belonged there. Because of a super limited budget, I kept the video as simple as possible so that you, as the viewer, can just focus on his words. So it's just a simple stedi-cam shot of Jin walking home from a long day of work telling you his story. Every man's struggle, Every man's life.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are the lyrics translated into English in the liner notes? Maybe on the Internet? I'm just asking for the Cantonese people who aren't so fluent but still love hiphop.

November 23, 2008 at 4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LoYM5OWIqI

November 23, 2008 at 8:53 PM  
Blogger Lawrence Davis said...

What a beautiful video. I loved the use of the string instruments in the song. It was a perfect contrast to the scenes of the city. I've never been to Hong Kong, but it reminds me of New York, where I am, in its vitality and street life. Daniel, your direction was magnificent. You captured the spirit of the song perfectly. I was very moved by what you had to say and, of course, by the performance. Thank you for posting it!

November 25, 2008 at 9:59 AM  
Blogger L.L. said...

Support!

November 25, 2008 at 10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the simplicity of the direction of the video you took and the subtle streaming of "the long walk home after a hard day's work". i think my favorite though was that family shot at the end.

i have to tell you when i first heard the abc album most of his songs were, as you said intensely personal. thanks for heightening the lyrics even more by bringing them alive, onscreen!

November 26, 2008 at 8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

quite impressed! It's not usual for such a young ABC to have such thoughts, plus the music is touching, too! the whole MV reminds me a Fruit Chan film, Little Cheung, Daniel, I am really impressed by these piece!

November 26, 2008 at 8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home