Monday, March 24, 2008

High School Musical

Gave a talk at my high school, Head-Royce, last week. My old English and Japanese lit teacher Barry Barankin somehow found me through the SF Asian American Film Festival people and invited to me to talk about how I got where I am today. It was cool seeing all my teachers from way back when( I graduated class of '92) and to see they were still inspiring students and still looked pretty much the same. The talk was fun and the students had a lot of great questions. There were a lot more Asian kids than when I was there and some of the students even did wushu. When I was in high school, I was the only one who did any martial arts!
From left: Jeff Key my art teacher, Johnny Wang my classmate and buddy, My Mom, Me and Barry Barakin. Jeff and Barry took me and several students to Japan for a summer class trip back in 1990. It was my first time to Japan and I loved it, which is probably why I went back to study in college and have been back dozens of times since, When I was working on Shinjuku Incident, I couldn't help but think of the great times we had 18 years ago! Teachers are important people in this world and these guys definitely influenced me heavily.

4 Comments:

Blogger monchichi said...

Yes..I agree that teachers play an important roles to influence the one's life..
so..did I. I actually met lots of teachers coz..I changed schools very often when i was young. I think I changed 6 schools within 9 years. Of course you don't always get to meet nice teachers some are weird and nasty. But I have met lots of nice teachers and each time I leave the school I got emotional and cried.
I still keep in touch of most of the teachers after so many years and I even invited them to my wedding. They flew all the way from Japan to attend my wedding in Malaysia. That was heart touching moment for me!

March 25, 2008 at 12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You lucky dog!In 1990 our class got to make it to NYC.I only wish Japan!

March 25, 2008 at 8:50 PM  
Blogger windrain said...

Sooo Lucky!I made it in 1997 and have yet to return!!!!

March 25, 2008 at 8:52 PM  
Blogger Perry said...

Dude, I used to be an elementary school teacher in SF for a few years. I gave 110% to those kids,....Unfortunately, they didn't give the same back.

**Sigh**

March 25, 2008 at 10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home