Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Downhill Skateboard = Homesick

http://www.vimeo.com/1654340
Can't figure out how to load Vimeo clips here. Maybe someone can help me. Anyway check out the video above.

Never thought a downhill skateboarding clip would make me homesick but I used to drive this road at least 4-5 times a week when I was in high school. The highway was always faster, but going over the Caldecott Tunnel from Berkeley back to my house in Orinda was always way more fun. It's actually a really great road set up for mountain rally racing. I did many stupid things on that road as a kid. I can't even remember how many times I've spun out on that crazy hairpin turn that you see these skaters barely make it around. I think I did skate it once or twice but I think I only had the balls to butt board it down. As you can see in the video here, you go really damn fast!
They call it Claremont Canyon because it ends up near the Claremont Hotel which is the big white building you see near then end of their run. At the very end of the run you can also see the burrito joint I used to eat at all the time as a kid. I still try to stop by there at least once every time I go back.
Actually now that I think about it, this road was the center of my existence as a youngster. I used to hang out in Berkeley on Telegraph Ave after school and on the weekends and then boy race it home back to Orinda when I was done. Sometimes my friends and I would spend the evenings racing though the hills in our cars and then end the night at a cafe down in Berkeley. Fortunately for me and my own personal safety I don't race cars anymore but I can't help but reminisce about the good ol' days. Fun times it was.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy! That's some crazy sh*t. The speed, man... just by watching, I almost succumbed to an involuntary bowel movement

January 6, 2009 at 1:14 PM  
Blogger dorien said...

Hey..heres how you do it:

when you scroll over the video at vimeo youll see an option pop up that says embed on the right side. click that and it will give you this window with some code in it. copy that code and when you create a new post in blogger, click the edit html tab. paste it in there and itll be embedded. if you wanna continue to add stuff, just click back on the compose tab the video wont show up in that box, but if you hit preview it will. hope that helps!

anyway, sounds like a sick place to drive. among many other things, the west coast has some great places to drive, while i have, the jersey turnpike..

January 6, 2009 at 9:50 PM  
Blogger L.L. said...

Go to the original video clip first. Click the “xxx EMBED” button (xxx stands for the triangle brackets and the forward slash that are not allowed in a comment) on the upper right corner of the screen and you’ll be able to see the codes. Then copy the codes.

If you are updating your blog in blogger.com, just switch from “Compose” to “Edit Html” and paste the codes in the editing window and hit on “PUBLISH POST”. If there’s text to add, you can relocate the video simply by moving the whole set of codes around your text.

You’ve done it before…“Moving Mural” on May 17, 2008. Or, someone else did it for you? ;-)

January 6, 2009 at 11:30 PM  
Blogger The Mantis said...

Skateboarding makes me miss the 90's. Took some flicks with Ari Marcopoulos for Metropolitan skate ads back then. Guys a sick photographer.

January 7, 2009 at 2:27 AM  
Blogger Perry said...

Dude,...is HK your home, or the EAST BAY your home?--just "doggin' ya". I remember back in the day Evening magazine had an episode about skaters "sliding" down the Berkeley hills.

Yep' it's natural to hang out up (or down in your Orinda case) in Berkeley if your from the East bay. Back in the day it was:Silver Ball, Leapold's, Tower and Rasputin's. You're probably too young to remember "Silver Ball" and "Evening magazine"

When you outgrow Berkeley, it's over to SF.

January 10, 2009 at 1:48 AM  
Blogger windrain said...

Makes me miss the late '80's.
Life sure moves faster the older get. Amazing, make a point not to
take it for granted!

January 14, 2009 at 2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kirt kishita is a great actor.(asian stories bk3) He needs projects!!!! Produce something for him!!!

January 22, 2009 at 10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home