Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Cure

Went to The Cure show here in Hong Kong last night and what an impressive show it was! I went in thinking it was going to be a fat and old Robert Smith playing a couple classics then mostly a bunch of newer stuff that no one really knew for 45 minutes. To my surprise, however, their set lasted almost three hours and was chocked full of the old school goodies! And although he is old and fat now, his voice sounds as good and strong as ever.
I hobbled in on my crutches to the standing room floor area of the Asian Expo Arena excited to see the band I never got to see in high-school and was surprised to see such a huge turnout. I didn't think too many locals were into The Cure. It was definitely a much more mature affair. Not many people under 25 and there were a lot of balding white guys dancing around reminiscing their college days. About half an hour into the show a security guard offered me a chair near the sound booth. I'm glad I took him up on the offer because my one good leg was already getting sore however, I did have to jump up to get a little groove on when songs like "Friday I'm in Love", "Lovesong" and "Just Like Heaven" came on. The crowd was also one on the best I have ever seen in HK. Usually local crowds are quite dead but last night the whole arena was dancing and singing along. Their double encore was finished off with "Boys Don't Cry", a perfect end to a great show. Robert Smith got so hot at one point he turned into a giant fireball right there on stage!

8 Comments:

Blogger Golden N Rong said...

Hotness, man i didn't even know the cure still existed lol

July 31, 2007 at 6:33 PM  
Blogger gr said...

When Robert Smith was a Banshee, Siouxsie Sioux used to call him "Fat Bob." I'm pretty sure he was alcoholic back then... He still was when I saw first saw The Cure at the Palladium on The Top Tour in 1984. He could barely stand up! It's cool the band is still playing and still popular. He must be over his fear of flying and not relying on boats anymore since they're playing the Hollywood Bowl soon. Did they have a Michael Idemoto montage during "Charlotte Sometimes"?

-mw

July 31, 2007 at 8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daniel Wu you're the finest man on the planet. I'll be in HK for the very first time next week for a month. I would so love love to meet you live in person. That would be awesome.

August 1, 2007 at 5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

local crowd being dead? you have no idea! imagine going to an REM concert in osaka & people around you are SITTING DOWN & pre-show, guy next to you was READING a book

August 2, 2007 at 6:42 AM  
Blogger Jin Hien Lau said...

wow, daniel wu's on blogger. love your work man. you should blog a bit more on the chinese movie industry and im really looking forward to blood brothers.

cheerio !

August 2, 2007 at 7:40 AM  
Blogger DanielLee said...

Seeing The Cure and Depeche Mode have been on my "must-see" list for a long time. Fortunately I got to see Depeche about a year ago in Hollywood. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see for myself just how fat Smith is these days. I can't imagine how stoked you are.

August 2, 2007 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger Moro Rogers said...

It does look like the Cure guy is spontaneously combusting, ala Spinal Tap.^^

August 3, 2007 at 12:45 AM  
Blogger laura kateri said...

one rad show. old-school stuff that was interestingly rearranged for two guitars. the cure rocks!

August 3, 2007 at 4:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home