Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Donger

I actually liked "Long Duk Dong" when I saw 16 Candles as a kid because he sort of epitomized all the Chinese foreign exchange students that my parents sponsored to come to America back in the 80's and 90's. I didn't really hate him because I was never made fun of by being called Donger. Maybe I went to really liberal schools. I did however come to realize much later the impact a stereotyped character like "the Donger" could have on an entire race and generation and to some degree is still perpetuated today with John Cho's nerd in Harlod and Kumar and the annoying geek(some say adorable) that Masa Oki plays in Heroes. Somebody needs to change that.
Check out this study on the NPR here. (Notice how they introduce Martin Wong as Eric Nakamura)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that may be true,but aren't you the man for the job.Will you ever make movies in America?perhaps in Santa Fe?

March 27, 2008 at 8:51 PM  
Blogger L.L. said...

Is it a hint of your next movie?:)

Personally, I don't think blaming the actors or producers for roles like Long Duk Dong can solve the problem from the root. As a new first-generation immigrant, I don't have as much identity recognition confusion as most 2nd generation do. But I always believe it is you who teach people how to treat you. I don't think too much about racism most of the time, what I do focus are how to enjoy the wonderful surroundings and how to break the Donger stereotype through everyday deeds. When I want to be heard, I speak out and loud; when people expect 100% from me, I give them my 120%; and when I meet someone really mean, I return tit for tat.

Nobody can put the "Donger" hat on me, coz I haven't taught them how. ;)

March 29, 2008 at 11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home